One of the major choices breast augmentation patients must make concerns the implant type. The two basic choices are saline or silicone, but different varieties are available.
- Saline implants – These implants contain sterile saltwater. Should the implant leak, the contents are absorbed by the body. Structured saline implants feel more natural than standard saline implants due to their inner structure.
- Silicone implants – Silicone implants feel more natural than saline, but the leakage of silicone gel can cause issues.
- Gummy bear implants – Also made of silicone but firmer and thicker than standard silicone implants, teardrop-shaped gummy bear implants receive this name because they keep their shape even if the implant shell breaks. That is due to the more concentrated nature of the gel.
Implants are not the only option for breast enlargement. Some women choose fat transfer, which has the added benefit of taking fat from where it is not wanted, via liposuction, and having it injected into the breasts after processing.
The downside of fat transfer is that breasts cannot increase by more than two cup sizes with this method.
Women undergoing breast augmentation obviously desire larger breasts. What size is right for you? Much depends on the woman’s frame. Factors to consider when deciding breast implant size include:
- Chest wall shape and size
- Width between natural breasts
Keep in mind that too-large breasts can lead to shoulder and back pain. Women may find that very large breasts affect their athletic capabilities. The same holds true for those with physically demanding jobs. The right breast size offers an improved appearance combined with comfort.
If a woman plans on having children in the future, she must decide prior to breast augmentation surgery whether she wants to breastfeed. If she does want to breastfeed, that may affect where the incision is placed.
For best breastfeeding results, incisions placed under the breasts or beneath the armpits are preferable to incisions around the areolas.
For More Information, Contact Dr. Rudy Coscia
If you would like more information about breast augmentation, schedule a consultation with top Sacramento plastic surgeon Dr. Rudy Coscia today. He will explain your options and help you make the breast augmentation decisions that are right for you.